Good Fridays

Good Fridays
My latest novel

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The conception of this novel

Good Fridays began with its title. It was March 30, 2002. I know this because whenever I begin a serious project (a book, a garden, a house) I select a spiral notebook, and I'd written the date and the title on the cornflower blue cover. Now I needed a story to go with the title. No one ever says Good Fridays, plural. What would that even mean? What could a bunch of Good Fridays have in common except that they're always two days before Easter and a day of Christian mourning? How could these days be the same yet different? Hmm...WHAT IF (and that's how most stories are born) different things happened on the Good Fridays in someone's life and those events added up to a significant story? The story should be told by an elderly person looking back over her life. I let these ideas "compost" in my brain for a few days and "Emily Carmichael" was born. She had a story she wanted me to tell. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment